why universities should scale up enterprise
- While the number of graduates is set to double by 2030, employment opportunities for degree level students are due decline by 50% in the same period.
- Fully 65% of students in the UK and USA are more interested in starting or being part of their own enterprise than embarking on a career path.
- More than half of students in recent surveys aim to launch their own enterprise within 5 years of leaving University.
- There is a misconception among students that they need real-world experience before trying to start their own scalable enterprise.
- Currently 1 in 7 people in employment in the UK are self employed and this number is growing.
value of choice
- Owning and running an enterprise is an incredible way to gain experience, confidence and credentials regardless of whether you stay in business or go on to employment.
- Starting an enterprise increases the value of the founder's “brand” and gives them more options, in entrepreneurship and employment.
- The risks in starting an enterprise v’s embarking on a life-long vocational career are now comparable.
- You make the rules, create your own hours and a job you actually enjoy, work from wherever you want and choose who you want to work with.
- You can make a difference, you are self empowered to do so.